Thursday, February 16, 2012

2011 New Recipe #25 Tortillas

Ok, almost two months later, I'm finally posting my final new recipe of 2011. My sister, Stephanie, made tortillas for all of us and taught me how to, as well. It was messy and fun. Her mother-in-law taught her to make them several years ago and I keep thinking she should make them for us so she did it one day for lunch when we were all at my parents' house for Christmas. We ate them with this delicious hot meat that she made. Loved them!

Steph working her magic


Homemade Tortillas

3 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 T salt
1 cup hot water
Slather Crisco all over



When I make these again, I'll definitely have to call Steph for a refresher. You have to "eye" the hot water to see how much you need...I've never been good at estimating and would rather follow a recipe exactly than try to improvise. But with her help, I did it! So you make the dough and then you slather Crisco all over it. Then you form the dough into little balls (see picture). I feel like at some point you have to set the dough aside or something but I forgot (consequence of posting this 2 months later!). Then you roll out each little ball with flour and a rolling pin and cook them on a cast iron skillet. We made a ton of them and it was lots of fun. I like to be in the kitchen with my mom and sisters. And I love Mexican food. And eating in general.

When I got back home after Christmas, I excitedly told my roommates that we could have our own Taco Tuesday and I could make the tortillas. That hasn't happened. Part of the reason is that my friend, Dixie, introduced me to these awesome tortillas at Costco that are uncooked and ready to go. They are so easy and delicious! I'm sure it's cheaper to make your own. I'll do it again sometime...that sometime may or may not be before I have my own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment